Clim-Dev Special Fund (CDSF)
African Development Bank, African Union Commission (AUC), and the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
The goal of the CDSF is to pool resources to contribute to sustainable development and, in particular, poverty reduction by preparing and implementing climate-resilient development programs that mainstream climate change information at all levels in Africa. The objective of the CDSF is to strengthen the institutional capacities of national and sub-regional bodies to formulate and implement effective climate-sensitive policies.
CDSF is the investment arm of the ClimDev-Africa program.
Follow the call for proposals.
Total fund size €33 million. The operational budget for 2016 is projected EUR 19.5 million, for which EUR 17 million will be direct funding for selected projects and the balance for staffing, operational and programme support costs.
The CDSF Coordination Unit at AfDB will lead project cycle activities as specified in the OPM, supported by ACPC and CCDU in the areas where they hold technical expertise and a comparative advantage.
Eligible institutions can access the CDSF funds directly to support resilient building activities.
Proposed activities and projects must fall into one or more of the following three areas.
1. Generation and wide dissemination of reliable and high quality climate Information in Africa
2. Capacity enhancement of policy makers and policy support institutions to integrate climate change information into development programs; and
3. Implementation of pilot adaptation practices that demonstrate the value in mainstreaming climate information into development.
How to apply:
1. Download the CDSF operations and procedures manual at climdev-africa.org
2. Submit a complete project concept note according to Annex III of CDSF Operations and Procedures manual.
3. Submit final application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grants are provided to projects in line with the ClimDev-Africa Programme’s goal, purpose and results areas and are implemented by national and regional organisations at all levels on the continent. The AfDB will manage the fund’s operation in accordance with Article 8 of the Bank.
The governance structure of the Fund consists of a) the ClimDev–Africa Programme Steering Committee (CDSC) that reports to the Programme Executive Board which comprises the Chief Executives of the AfDB, AUC and UNECA; b) the AfDB Board of Directors, and its governance structure, and c) a CDSF Coordination Unit headed by a Coordinator. Overall decision-making with regard to CDSF operations will be carried out through two main organs: the Steering Committee and the AfDB Board of Directors. For purposes of Programme Coordination, the CDSF Coordination Unit will liaise with the ClimDev-Africa Secretariat.
- African countries of dedicated institutions, organizations, agencies undertaking activities in the territory of these countries
- NGO,CSO and CBO: to be eligible, these organizations should demonstrate their credibility and track record in the CDSF
Technical Department and Task Manager
Siham Mohamedahmed, NRM Expert, Natural Resources and Environment Management Division Tel: (216) 7110 2259
Partnerships and Cooperation Unit Focal Point
Khadidida Diabi, Principal Cooperation Officer, Tel: (216) 7110 3002
Dr. Justus Joseph Kabyemera
Coordinator – CDSF
African Development Bank (AfDB)
Immeuble CCIA - Avenue Jean-Paul II, Abidjan Plateau
01 B.P. 1387 Abidjan 01 - Ivory Coast/Côte d’Ivoire
Cell: +225 77825907