Action Against Desertification (AAD) in support of the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and the Sahel initiative
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
Action Against Desertification is an initiative of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (ACP) to restore drylands and degraded lands in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific to tackle the detrimental social, economic and environmental impact of land degradation and desertification. It is implemented by FAO and partners with funding from the European Union under the framework of the 10th European Development Fund (EDF).
The programme builds on the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and the Sahel Initiative, established in 2007, which has become Africa's flagship initiative to combat the effects of climate change and desertification and brings together more than 20 African countries, international organizations, research institutes, civil society and grassroots organizations.
Over four years, until 2019 ACP, the EU, FAO and partners such as the African Union Commission, the Global Mechanism of the UNCCD, the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and the Walloon region will support six African countries – Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, the Gambia, Niger, Nigeria and Senegal – as well as Fiji and Haiti in improving the condition and productivity of the agrosilvopastoral landscapes affected by land degradation, drought and desertification.
FAO in partnership with Government partners (Environment Ministries National agencies for the Great Green Wall, Tree seed centers, NGOs and Universities) including :
• In Burkina Faso: The National Coordination Unit for the Great Green Wall within the Ministry of Environment. Green Economy and Climate Change; NGOs (Reach Italia and Tiipalga), the National Forest Seed Center of Burkina
• Ethiopia: Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
• The Gambia: Department of Forestry, MoBSE,
• Niger: National Agency for the Great green Wall and the National forest seed center of Niger
• Nigeria: National Agency for the Great Green Wall
• Senegal: National Agency for the Great Green Wall, Centre de Suivi Ecologique, Enda
• Fiji: Ministry of Fisheries and Forests
• Haiti: Ministry of Environment
• Steering committee for the Africa project component.
• Steering committee for the inter-regional component (Africa, Caribbean and Pacific).
• Annual interim financial and narrative reports are submitted to the European Union
• A final financial and narrative report to be submitted at the end of the project
• Monitoring Plans
• Mid-term review and final evaluation