Nordic Climate Facility
The Nordic Climate Facility (NCF), financed and managed by the Nordic Development Fund (NDF), is a challenge fund that finances early stage climate change projects in developing countries. NCF aims to build a portfolio of innovative business concepts which have been tested, proved viable, and are ready to be scaled-up and replicated. The NCF will finance projects that meet the following criteria:
- Tackle climate change and and contribute to the fulfillment of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Test the viability of business concepts (financial, technical, social, and environmental)
- Consist of partnerships between public and private organisations; at least one should be Nordic
The NCF provides support through the following means:
- Risk-sharing for testing innovative climate solutions
- EUR 250,000 - 500,000 in grant financing for early-stage projects to facilitate the testing of innovative and climate-relevant business concepts. The average size of an NCF project has been around EUR 700,000, with an average of almost EUR 300,000 in co-financing from project partners and other financiers.
- Annual calls for proposals with a streamlined, two-phased application process
To fill out the concept note, applicants must register to the SmartME online application system, find the concept note application template, prepare a concept note, and submit it. After submission, eligible applications are scored by the evaluation committee and the highest scoring concept notes are given comments and are selected to submit a full proposal.
The full proposal template can be accessed by logging into the SmartME online application system. Once submitted, all eligible full proposals are scored by the evaluation committee and the highest scoring full proposals are selected for due diligence interviews. When project specific comments are shared, contract negotiations with shortlisted applicants can begin.
Check here for information on upcoming calls. Reference the NCF portfolio for examples of selected projects.
The total value of the NCF portfolio is EUR 57 million. EUR 33.1 million is NCF financing and EUR 24.6 million co-financing.
The deadline for this year's call has passed (9 September 2019). New information about upcoming calls on this website will be published regularly online.